We have received credible reports that SLT owned Peo TV is decommissioning its existing IPTV platform that presently uses UTStarcom's IPTV solutions. This comes as UTStarcom is taking steps to halt sales of IPTV solutions due to the unsuccessful nature of it's IPTV business.
According to the information obtained SLT have already set up an alternative solution operated using IPTV solutions provided by Netgem and the system has been operational since 1st May 2014. According to unnamed SLT sources it seems that any new subscribers will be connected to the new IPTV system and all existing subscribers will be shifted to the new system by 3rd Quarter of 2015. The solution comes with a brand new STB which is expected to have the following features.
- The new Netgem STB comes with 1 HDMI port with support for 1080p/1080i Full HD.
- Smoother and faster EPG load speeds.
- Fast Channel change during channel surfing.
- Vertical Interactive TV Guide with more TV schedule data.
- Mini TV channel list with forward and backward EPG.
- Integrated Live TV and Time Shift TV channel list.
- Integration of Live TV list with VOD/SVOD services.
- PVR facility (if SLT activates internal HDD)
- Home Media Center/Media Sharing using USB 2.0 port (if SLT decided to activate the facility)
- Internet TV Apps - Facebook, YouTube (if SLT activates these features)
- 7 day catch up TV since the new STB can display both IPTV & OTT content on single interface.
It's likely that SLT hasn't added any new channels so far this year and would likely not do so until all subscribers are migrated to the new Netgem platform. If new channels are added then they would probably be available only for new subscribers who are on the Netgem platform. Hopefully Peo TV accelerates the process of switching over all existing subscribers since they should be launching some new content including HDTV services soon.